Hey, y'all! I have a serious problem: I'm addicted to buying thrift store lamps. I see them in the store for really cheap, and in my head, I see what they would look like with a makeover. (It's totally like the Princess Diaries of lamps as the makeover plays out in my head.) I mean, who could blame me for wanting to rescue all those abandoned lamps that just need a little love?! (My husband, that's who...) I'm currently making over my living room. Yeah, it's taking wayyyyy longer than I expected. I needed a tall lamp to go on the dresser I refurbished. Yes, I have several thrift store lamps at home, but they weren't really exactly what I wanted. But I recently found THE ONE at my local ReStore, and I gave it a makeover.
When I found the lamp, it looked like this.
Well, it had a shade on it, but I didn't take a picture with the shade on.
The price tag said $9.50. I wouldn't have spent $9.50 for the lamp. I'm cheap frugal. Luckily on that day, it was marked down to $5. That was a price I was willing to pay.
I started by taking all the innards out of the lamp. (Did I really just use that word?) Then I sanded the lamp a little because there were places that the paint was peeling. I gave the lamp a good cleaning and then sprayed it with Rust-Oleum's Clean Metal Primer. It's my favorite primer for metal lamps.
Then I sprayed the lamp with Valspar spray paint in a pretty color called Nautical.
I wanted the lamp to be shiny, so I finished the paint job by spraying the lamp with a clear gloss spray paint.
I rewired the lamp using a prepackaged lamp kit. The directions on the package are really easy to follow. The lamp probably worked already, but I have a fear of lamps that have those old looking cords on them. I always rewire them. (I'm weird like that.) The lamp base was then complete, but the shade needed some love.
I found a fabric that I really liked at Hobby Lobby. I rolled the shade along the back of the fabric and traced the edge of the shade as I rolled it. I added a little extra to fold over the top and bottom of the lamp and then cut out the fabric.
I used spray glue to adhere the fabric to the shade, making sure to hold the fabric tight while pressing it to prevent any bubbles from forming. I folded the extra fabric over the edges and attached it to the inside of the shade with hot glue.
I love the finished lamp!
I adore the aqua color of the base, and I love that the shade isn't "matchy matchy" with the base. It just GOES. ;)
I'm not sure if I'll keep this little part of the room like it is in the photo, but it makes me excited to finish the makeover!